Senior Backend Engineer
About the Company
We believe in the power and importance of infrastructure. Every few decades a major inflection point in the world’s infrastructure progresses humanity forward. Vanderbilt and the railroads, Edison and the electrical grid, Eisenhower and the highways, and now Airspace Link’s low altitude digital infrastructure. As a high growth software and data startup based out of Detroit, offering Hybrid and fully Remote work options, we focus on creating a place where people of all different backgrounds can thrive as engineers, data scientists, creative thinkers, and passionate innovators. Our vision is to create a world where the safe integration of drones fuels human progress, advancing social equity, the environment, and the economy.
What’s the Opportunity?
As part of our exciting expansion plans, we have multiple fantastic opportunities for Sr. Backend Developers to join our rapidly growing Engineering team. Embedded as a member of one of our cross-functional engineering squads, you will be part of the day-to-day Agile development environment involved in all stages of design and implementation of components for Airspace Link’s web, mobile (PWA) and API products.
We're looking for a creative, collaborative, highly motivated, and inquisitive learners to build great software with us. If you confidently write backend code and are passionate about learning, we'd love to talk with you!
What You’ll Do and the Impact You’ll Make
Your work matters and will be shipped to production the same day it’s completed. Of course, what’s a job posting without some bullet points? Here are a few examples of what your peers have worked on recently:
- Develop a new API for spatially indexing geographic data
- Optimize a WebSocket backend to send data as close to real-time as possible
- Develop against our state-of-the-art routing algorithm
- Implement Go Generics in our API stack
- Introduce new architecture components, such as Python WebSockets and Nginx
- Create solutions to tough algorithmic challenges
We Expect You to Have
- 3+ years experience working on a production SaaS applications or APIs in the backend, with direct development experience with modern backend frameworks, such as NodeJS, Django, Spring Boot
- Production experience engineering with Golang strongly preferred
- An affinity for code and performance optimizations, including algorithm/data design and usage
- Intermediate to advanced SQL capability with PostgreSQL experience preferred
- Deployment experience with cloud providers such as Azure, AWS, or GCP
- An eagerness to learn and adapt to the needs of a greenfield industry
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, willingness to bring your expertise to the rest of the team, thinking outside the box, initiative
- Authorization to work in the United States; at this time we are unable to offer sponsorships
Nice to Have
- Exposure to containerization and code virtualization
- Knowledge of Azure/APIM
- Exposure to GIS systems such as Esri and PostGIS
Benefits and Rewards
- Award winning culture
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive medical benefits
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous Time Off
- Gender Neutral Parental Leave
- Home Office Budget
- Culture of Learning
- Community Support
Airspace Link is committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture, and investing in equity across our organization. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.