Director of Business Development
The financial industry is growing at a record pace, but our data providers are still stuck in the past — with cumbersome onboarding processes, complicated APIs, slow infrastructure, and expensive licensing costs.
Databento is the next-generation market data provider — with the radical idea that you should only pay for the data that you use. We power the world's largest finance and fintech institutions and lower the barrier of entry for small startups.
Since starting in 2019, we've raised over $27.8M in funding and have over 2,000 companies signed up pre-launch. Our team consists of former data users from firms like Two Sigma, Belvedere, Pico, Bloomberg, Pinterest, and Google.
We offer health, dental, disability, and life insurance benefits, as well as 401(k) matching and visa sponsorships. We accommodate 100% remote work, with teammates living around the globe and paid in their local currency.
As our first BD hire, you will oversee the full scope of sales at Databento. This includes the following:
- Work with the sales and marketing teams to find new prospects and nurture the existing pipeline.
- Drive revenue growth by achieving aggressive sales targets and actively pursuing new business opportunities.
- Establish and maintain accurate, timely, and documented forecasting and record-keeping procedures, keeping our CRM up-to-date and organized.
- Build a network of executive relationships across the industry and with key partners and customers, gathering and relaying relevant feedback.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, market dynamics, and competitor activities to identify potential business opportunities and adapt sales strategies accordingly.
- Collaborate across teams to align sales efforts with overall company objectives and ensure a seamless customer experience.
The ideal candidate has experienced the end-to-end sales pipeline for a PLG startup, especially top-of-funnel and mid-funnel sales. Below are other skills that we look for:
- Understand and communicate with our user base of developers and quants.
- Experience with PLG, data products, quant trading, and/or market microstructure.
- Extreme attention to detail and record-keeping, as well as the ability to automate processes in Hubspot.
- Professional communication skills that align with the tone of an institutional financial product.
- White-glove management of the sales cycle with continual buy-in from the customer, discovering the user's pain points, signs of friction, being honest when our product isn't the best fit, not being too pushy or salesy, and knowing when to continue vs. back off.
- Readiness to work within a startup environment with limited resources and personnel.
- As a bonus: Active usage of Github, knowledge of enough C++, Python, and/or Rust to help answer client inquiries.
Databento provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Databento complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Our recruiting data suggests that underrepresented applicants often downplay their skills. Even if your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed, we still want to hear from you. Please apply!