Senior Systems Engineer
The financial industry is growing at a record pace, but our data providers are still stuck in the past — with cumbersome onboarding processes, complicated APIs, slow infrastructure, and expensive licensing costs.
Databento is the next-generation market data provider — with the radical idea that you should only pay for the data that you use. We power the world's largest finance and fintech institutions and lower the barrier of entry for small startups.
Since starting in 2019, we've raised over $27.8M in funding and have over 2,000 companies signed up pre-launch. Our team consists of former data users from firms like Two Sigma, Belvedere, Pico, Bloomberg, Pinterest, and Google.
We offer health, dental, disability, and life insurance benefits, as well as 401(k) matching and visa sponsorships. We accommodate 100% remote work, with teammates living around the globe and paid in their local currency.
- Deploying and maintaining a high-availability environment consisting of servers distributed across multiple data centers worldwide.
- Maintaining bare metal and cloud-based Linux clusters with petabytes of storage and 10/40/100G networking.
- Managing and troubleshooting Linux systems configurations.
- Optimizing performance of servers and networks.
- Coordinating with vendors and remote hands.
- Bachelor's degree and/or at least 4 years experience working with Linux servers.
- Shell scripting in a Linux environment.
- Network administration (OSI layers 2-4, IP routing with OSPF and BGP, switching, multicast, load balancing, bonding, packet processing, SSL/IPsec VPNs).
- Configuration and provisioning tools (Saltstack, Puppet, Ansible, Foreman, Terraform).
- Able to lift and rack a 2U server.
- Able to travel to data centers in MA and NJ at ease.
- Enterprise storage and file systems (NFS, ZFS, Ceph, GlusterFS, Weka).
- HA database administration (MySQL, Clickhouse).
- Containerized application deployment (k8s, Docker).
- Hybrid cloud deployments with auto-scaling (AWS).
- Performance analysis and monitoring tools (tcpdump, iostat, strace, Prometheus).
- High-availability server and network architectures (redundancy, failover, replication, recovery).
- Source automation, build and continuous integration tools (GitLab CI).
- Low latency equipment and network adapters (Xilinx, Arista, Solarflare).
- Line rate capture of raw multicast feeds from exchanges.
- Experience coordinating with data centers and network providers (Equinix, Telia, NTT, Level 3).
- Prior work experience at a buy-side trading firm.
- Hybrid infrastructure with self-hosted servers and AWS CDN.
- 3 data centers and multiple tier 1 network providers.
- 4.8 PB storage on-site.
- Self-hosted cluster with 36 cores, 480 GB memory per developer.
- 25 Gbps network stack with Mellanox/Cumulus, Solarflare OpenOnload, Arista Layer 1 switches, Xilinx FPGA, custom userspace networking.
- Containerized web applications running on Docker Swarm.
- Clickhouse, Redis, MySQL.
Our recruiting data suggests that underrepresented applicants often downplay their skills. Even if your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed, we still want to hear from you. Please apply!