Director of Legal & Security
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable.
We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by some of the most reputable investors in tech, and we are building our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
As a proud Pledge 1% company, we’re committed to leveraging our product, partnerships, and people to drive positive social impact through Lob.org, and are on a mission to make direct mail more sustainable.
We’re seeking to bring on a VP, Legal and Security to lead our existing legal team and continue to drive implementation of best practices at the ground-level of a fast-moving, remote enterprise SaaS company. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, you will take ownership over all aspects of Lob’s legal operations. Your responsibilities will include negotiations with customers and vendors, building out legal processes and procedures, eventually bringing all legal efforts in-house, instituting compliance policies while maintaining the entrepreneurial culture of the company, managing outside counsel as needed, and working on all aspects of intellectual property, privacy, employment, and corporate issues. You partner with leaders across the company at the executive level and in Sales, People, Product & Engineering, and Finance to provide counsel in evaluating risks and requirements in service of achieving Lob’s business goals.
We are looking for a practical attorney who is interested in learning about our technology, can enable our go-to-market strategy, is a proven leader within a small legal team, and will establish her or himself as a mentor on the legal team and as a trusted business partner to every executive as well as a company-wide thought leader.
As the VP, Legal and Security, you’ll...
- Evaluate our core legal processes; oversee the implementation of legal operations to effectively serve contract needs, prioritize tasks, and integrate with other company-wide systems;
- Define Lob’s legal strategy and roadmap; oversee all legal matters and advise the leadership team and Lob employees at all levels of the organization;
- Work with the existing legal team to create and implement best practices and guides to assist Lob’s Sales team with negotiating strategic customer contracts, close deals in the most efficient manner, and educate sales representatives to effectively sell Lob’s legal terms;
- Review, draft, and negotiate a variety of additional contracts, including vendor contracts, partnership agreements, and employment contracts;
- Provide counsel and advise the leadership team on legal liabilities across the business on areas including: HR issues & employment law, commissions agreements, real estate leases, international expansion, company policies, corporate finance, partnerships, litigation, product development, emerging trends in technology and regulation, etc.;
- Lead Lob’s Security & Compliance initiatives to develop compliance strategies for applicable laws and regulations, especially relating to cybersecurity, privacy and corporate governance;
- Anticipate and identify legal risks, stay abreast of applicable regulatory developments, and use critical thinking to provide proactive and strategic solutions to eliminate or mitigate those risks;
- Partner with the CFO and outside counsel to maintain company capitalization table;
- Partner with our Product & Engineering teams and outside counsel to establish and maintain Lob’s patent portfolio;
- Manage relationships with our existing external counsel on corporate finance, capital markets matters, employment, etc. as needed;
- Address other ad-hoc or specialized legal issues as they may arise.
What you will bring to this role...
- A JD from a top accredited law school and a current US bar admission
- Practicing attorney with 10-15 years of experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department. In-house counsel experience preferred, especially in tech.
- Broad direct experience with a variety of legal matters, including commercial contract negotiation, information security and compliance, strategic business agreements, privacy, corporate governance, intellectual property rights, international expansion, management of an internal team.
- Ability to listen and work in concert with counterparties and internal stakeholders to find mutually agreeable solutions in negotiations.
- Comfortable with business metrics and ability to proactively break down complex legal problems into business and legal risks; ability to explain legal issues to business and technology-focused partners.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment (SaaS preferred), adapting quickly to changing priorities.
- Collaborative and solutions-oriented approach with low ego in a fast-paced, team-centric environment.
- Strong sense of ownership, desire to make a cross-functional impact, eagerness to learn and mentor, customer orientation.
- Familiarity with technology and SaaS-related legal issues, including data privacy, cybersecurity, and software licensing.
Base Range: $262,000.00 - $292,000.00
Base Range: $247,500.00 - $274,500.00
“Lob’s salary ranges are based on market data, relative to our size, industry and stage of growth. Salary is one part of total compensation, which also includes equity, perks and competitive benefits. Salary decisions are based on many factors including geographic location, qualifications for the role, skillset, proficiency and experience level. Lob reasonably expects to pay candidates who are offered roles within the provided salary ranges.”
We offer remote working opportunities in AZ, CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IA, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NE, NC, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, TN, TX, UT, and WA, unless specified otherwise in the job description above.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2022
#86 on Y Combinator's Top Private Companies List 2021
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2021
2020 Inc 5000 List of the Fastest-Growing Private Companies
2019 Timmy Awards - Best Tech Workplace for Diversity, Community Favorite in the Bay Area
Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500